Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Get Fit While Running & with Fido


A little something you may not know about me (because I make it a point not to blog about me, my life, etc... My life is not that interesting and besides I don't hold myself to a position that I think others would really care anyway) I am a long distance runner and have been since the age of 11. I run nearly every day, sometimes double work outs depending if I am training for a particular race. But, I am not a group runner, never have been. Just me, the miles, and an empty road (sort of). My weekly mileage has fluctuated from 40 to 75 miles a week, with once reaching 111. My pr for a 5K is 17:52; 10K is 38:39; 10 miler 64:?? and the 1/2 marathon 1:17 (way back when).

Just yesterday, while on a monthly call with a great group of women business owners, a question was asked... and I responded, "Well, I am a runner first and foremost. My days are scheduled around my runs." After the call I came across post on Run the Planet, a great online resource for runners of all levels. The article was about Get Fit with Fido. This Seattle-based program connects runners and walkers with a dog that is available for adoption. The Get Fit with Fido dog running team is recognized throughout Seattle, as they run in bright yellow running gear, with happy dogs at their sides wearing "I'm available for adoption" banners.

About the Get Fit with Fido program:

Every Wednesday evening at 6:00 pm, and Saturday morning at 9:00 am, Get Fit with Fido team members run adoptable dogs from the shelter to Myrtle Edwards Park in Seattle. The distance ranges from 2 to 4 miles depending on the physical condition of the runners and dogs. Weather is also a factor. The team does not run during thunderstorms, or when the roads are icy. The dogs wear banners indicating that they are available for adoption. Generally we have 6 to 14 runners each session.

These are the primary goals of the program:
  • Vigorously exercise dogs that are confined to kennels for long periods of time
  • Find loving homes for shelter dogs
  • Increase public awareness of the shelter and let people know that adoptable dogs are not routinely "put to sleep"
  • Recruit volunteers for various programs at the shelter
  • Encourage runners and joggers to adopt dogs for companionship and safety
    (Source: Get Fit with Fido)

According to Alan Ward, the German Shepherd/Dachshund mix who can write and is VP Administrative Services a the local Community College, "There have been a lot of positive outcomes as a result of this program. One of them of course is that hundreds of wonderful dogs have found loving homes. Another is the "SAS' annual Furry 5K", a spin-off of the program, where 2500 runners/walkers, 1000 dogs, and 1 very brave cat participate in a five kilometers event each June to, raise money for the Help the Animals Fund. This fund provides veterinary care for sick and injured animals at the shelter. There is now a Fido racing team, where team members and dogs participate in local races, and a Tiger Mountain group that takes dogs hiking on a local mountain on Sunday mornings." (Source: Run the Planet)

This is one cool way to volunteer, to get moving and do something good for yourself and a dog awaiting adoption. I love this program and if I lived in Seattle, this is one running group I'd join.