Thursday, October 29, 2009

Baking for Good does Good for Causes


I want to introduce to you a small bakery doing big things to make a difference for charities. It is Baking for Good. With an online presence through the website, Facebook and Twitter, it's voice is being heard all across communities. The Founder, Emily Dubner has a mission to make great sweets and treats while offering causes a way to raise funds. Her brand brings us back to what we loved, cookies as good as our grandmother's, and local charities we supported through bake sales. Here is Emily's story on her commitment to making an impact.

Growing up, it was easy to give back. I lived in a small suburb outside of Boston where community service was integrated in nearly every activity I did. At school, we donated coats and hats for those who could not afford them; for my cross-country team, we volunteered at road races and raised money for local charities; with my family, we helped out at soup kitchens on each holiday. In college, too, opportunities to volunteer abounded. I spent time tutoring inner-city kids, raised money for breast cancer research, and helped out on neighborhood clean-up days.

Yet somehow, upon moving to New York City and starting my life as a young professional in the corporate world, giving back to my community took a backseat to my job and personal life. I realized that something that had been so important to me growing up was now not so easy to do.

Ultimately, I started Baking for Good as a way to help others give back in small ways. The bake sale is my favorite symbol of giving back: it brings together communities in support of great causes, and it does so in a very sweet, cheerful, and small but impactful way. Through Baking for Good, we enable charities of all sizes to spread awareness and raise money for their important missions. Moreover, we empower our customers to do something special for someone they care about while contributing to a charity of their choice. It’s touching to see the charities our customers choose and the reasons they send our products.

It’s easy for life to get in the way of giving back. We must continue to look for small ways to contribute to our communities.

*****

Emily Dubner is the Founder and CEO of Baking for Good (http://bakingforgood.com), an online bakery based on the idea of a local bake sale. 15% of every purchase of Baking for Good’s all-natural, made-to-order brownies, cookies, and other sweet treats goes to a cause the customer chooses. Causes include national nonprofits and local, community-based fundraisers.