Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Clean Makeup for Clean Water

I get so excited when I see a favorite brand of mine engaged in a cause marketing campaign. One of the main reasons why this is exciting is because I am a woman loyal to only a few select brands and rarely ever do I switch a brand once I find one I l-o-v-e. I have stuck to some brands for more than 25 years.

One of my favorite brands has been and still is COVERGIRL. I love everything about their makeup products from the texture to the scents to the 'real life' face colors. I just pulled out a few of the products I use and have used over the years. My favorite foundation is their FreshLook (Ivory), Cheekers blush (Brick Rose), Perfect Blend PencilCrayon (Brun*Noir), Professional mascara, LipSlicks Lip gloss(Precious) and Dark Chocolate lipstick w/ SPF15. Oh, how I love this lipstick. When I run low, I go into the drugstore, head right to the rack and pick up the product. I can get what I need with no hassles.

Now here is the best part, COVERGIRL has partnered with The Children's Safe Drinking Program and just launched their Clean Makeup for Clean Water campaign. The beauty of this campaign is that it's brilliant and simple on many levels. First, it uses the word 'clean', enhancing the brand image, product line and the cause initiative. This is symmetric and easy to remember (Clean Makeup and clean water), so both the company and cause brand image win.

Another reason this campaign is brilliant is because it directly involves their customers on two different levels. The first level of involvement asks the customer to share a video about how they give back to make a difference. This is a super idea in that viewers can learn about causes and charities, and creative ways other women give which helps build awareness and inspiration. Another level of customer involvement offers women an opportunity to win! Who doesn't like to win something. They could win either a trip to Africa that is a humanitarian effort and aligned with the campaign (sending clean water to children in developing countries) or the chance to participate in a photo shoot. Either of these two possibilities are exciting.

I give this campaign two thumbs up! It's message, brand building, cause awareness, and customer involvement and call to action rock.

About:

The Children's Safe Drinking Water Program provides clean drinking water to developing nations. Every day more than 4,000 children in developing countries die from diseases due to unsafe drinking water.
  • Contaminated drinking water is a major problem, especially in developing nations.
  • More than one billion people worldwide do not have access to safe water. Diarrhea caused by drinking contaminated water remains a leading cause of illness and death among infants and children in the developing world.
  • About 1.8 million children die every year due to diarrheal diseases. More children die from diarrheal illnesses like cholera and dysentery than from HIV/AIDS or malaria combined.
  • Beginning in 1995, P&G collaborated with the Center for Disease Control (CDC) to develop the PUR Purifier of Water, a safe drinking water system that people can easily use in their homes.
  • Simple, low-cost interventions at the community level can improve the quality of household water and greatly reduce the risk of diarrheal disease and death.
  • Simply providing safe, clean, drinkable water can significantly help reduce deadly diarrhea and other devastating diseases.