Monday, February 16, 2009

Lace'm Up for $140 for a Cure

Okay this is one expensive pair of running shoes. I know, I am a veteran long distance runner of nearly 35 years and I have make a significant investment in my running shoes as good shoes and the right shoe for me helps prevent injury.

Now, I have never worn New Balance. I don't need a straight-last, mid-foot striker shoe and I don't need the wide toe box. But it's a good fit for someone who does needs those things. The other reason I've not worn New Balance, is because, well, it has suede - which makes for a heavier training/race-day shoe and I've always seen it as a shoe that appeals to men versus Ryka or Reebok for women. But New Balance is counting on women to spend $140 on these pretty pink running shoes as a way to commemorate Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 20th Anniversary. New Balance has been sponsoring this event for twenty years.

It's not so much the cost of the shoe, comparable to high-profile basketball sneakers, but as a cause-marketing campaign it customizes each buyer to have stitched on the tongue of the shoe, "In Honor of" or "Lace Up, " or "Running for" which is really pretty cool. That is what I think women will buy... the emotional attachment to the shoe being customized for them or a friend or loved one. The majority of women have to have the connection to, emotional feeling toward, to be compelled to buy, do are stand for something.

No matter how much New Balance does for breast cancer, I still have them as a male running shoe product ingrained in my head and have for years, but I must admit this may be one way to get this runner to change course.